If you have a disability and are between the ages of 16 and 64 and reside in the U.K., you have the right to seek financial assistance. The U.K. has launched a new program o replace the Disability Living Allowance scheme. The new program is called Personal Independence Payment or PIP.
PIP is available to all residents in England, Scotland, and Wales. Northern Ireland has a similar new program, but the application process is different. The information contained within this article applies to those living in England, Scotland, and Wales.
To qualify for PIP benefits, you must meet the following criteria:
• Must be between the ages of 16 and 64
• Must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last three years
• Must reside in one of these countries at the time of application
• Cannot be receiving the Armed Forces Independence Payment
• Your condition must have been present and documented for the last three months
• Your condition must be expected to last for at least the next nine months
• You are terminally ill with six or fewer months to live.
PIP Benefits Come In 2 Forms
You can receive two different benefits when claiming PIP. You can receive Daily Living Payments and Mobility Payments.
Daily living payments help cover costs for the assistance you may need with eating or cooking, dressing, bathing, communicating, or similar tasks. Mobility payments are available for those with mobility disabilities that may need special assistance.
Applying PIP Benefits
You will need to have the following information available when applying for PIP benefits:
• National Insurance Number
• Contact Information
• Birth Date
• Bank or Building Society Account Number
• Name and Contact Information for your Health Care Provider
• Any Information regarding Living Abroad or in a Health Care Facility if Applicable
You will need to call the Department of Work and Pensions to begin the application process. The department may schedule a personal interview with you for a final evaluation.
If you have a terminal illness, you may be approved for benefits immediately. You will not be required to undergo a personal evaluation.
<span class="NormalTextRun SCXW195011311 BCX0" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; user-select: text; -webkit-user-drag: