Grants for Remodeling a Home for Disabled People

Daily life around the house can be more difficult when you have a disability. Doorways are often too small for wheelchair access.  Shower areas may be risky for those with difficulty walking or standing, and stairs are generally impossible. Even things like kitchen counters being too high to actively use or not being able to use the sink can limit your abilities at home.  


However, renovations can be costly. Even when you attempt to DIY the renovation, the cost for compliant materials is often much higher than anticipated and these projects are put on hold until money can be found.  


If you have a disability and need renovations on your home, there are organizations that can help you cover the costs. Some of these organizations include:  


• Department of Veterans Affairs – They offer two grant programs to help you build a new or renovate a currently owned home to make it accessible to a person with disabilities.  

• Americorps. This group will help with the actual construction project to make your home more disability friendly.  

• Think Alive Achievement Grant. This grant is for up to $500 and is meant to assist anyone who is under the age of 21 adjust their home to accommodate their disability for something they love to do.  

• Rural Housing Repair Loans and Grants. Backed by the USDA, applicants must be 62 or older and considered low income to qualify for either a loan or a grant to help them renovate their home to adjust for a disability.  

• Self Sufficiency Grant from These grants can help you cover the costs of any unexpected crisis or make repairs to assist with your disability.  


There are also many private charity clubs, such as the Lions and the Elks, which have special grants and programs within their community chapters. There are also several organizations that are dedicated specifically to helping those with disabilities in many ways, including home repairs.  


If you are a wounded veteran, there are several organizations that you can contact about help for your disability. Wounded Warrior and the Gary Sinise program are just two of the larger programs that will help wounded veterans stay independent by helping them with their living accommodations.  


The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also offers several programs both as grants and as loans to help make renovations to your home to accommodate a disability. Many local housing authorities will also offer grants for this type of construction. 


Aids 4 Mobility uses Royal Mail, Parcel Force, DPD, Hermes, TNT and UPS. We have chosen these couriers based on their reliability and cost-effective delivery solutions. This helps us to keep your order costs as low as possible.

There is FREE DELIVERY* on all orders over £30.00 excluding VAT to all UK mainland addresses and for most non-mainland UK addresses.

Orders up to £30.00 excluding VAT are only £3.95 P and P

If you are looking to have orders delivered outside the UK mainland, please contact us for a quotation. We will do our best to keep the delivery costs as low as we can.

More information

Please note: VAT is removed in the checkout process

In the UK, disabled people do not have to pay VAT when buying certain disability aids and services (This can be claimed by friend or family member purchasing on their behalf). Not everything supplied to disabled people is necessarily zero-rated for VAT. Goods and services on which you do not have to pay VAT are usually known as 'zero-rated' or 'eligible for VAT relief.

Who is eligible for VAT relief?

You must be 'chronically sick or disabled' to qualify for VAT relief. The HMRC comment on this is as follows. A person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they either:

VAT Relief on our Disability Aids

All products on the Aids for Mobility website are flagged with an option to claim VAT relief during Checkout if it applies to that item. When you add a zero-rated product or service to your Basket, you will be asked to tick a checkbox to confirm that you, or the person for whom you are buying the item, are eligible for VAT Relief.

How VAT relief works

If you are claiming VAT Relief you will be asked to complete an extra few questions during Checkout, where we will ask you to provide brief details of your disability and confirmation that the product is for 'personal or domestic use'. We will keep a record of this declaration along with your order details. You can then buy the product(s) in your Basket at a price that excludes VAT. You will be asked to make this declaration each time you place an order that includes zero-rated products. It is a legal requirement that we record this information for every order, and we apologise for the inconvenience.

More information from HMRC

You can find out more about VAT Relief for disabled people on the HM Revenue and Customs website. If you cannot find the answer to your questions there or would prefer to speak to an adviser, you can call their Helpline on 0845 302 02 03.

The helpline is open from 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. (Closed weekends and bank holidays).