Bedroom safety is necessary for everyone without a doubt; however, the elderly age group needs special attention. You would never want your loved ones to feel insecure and uncomfortable in their own home. And you definitely would not want them to feel they're losing their independence.
How can you ensure this won't happen to your loved one? The solution is quite simple. By using specially designed equipment and methods, the bedroom can be made comfortable for seniors in a short amount of time and with little effort.
There are several bedroom mobility aids from which to choose. To begin, categorization is important to make it easier to understand. This will ensure that the right kind of aid is identified for a certain need and then a purchase can be made accordingly.
Types of Mobility Aids for the Elderly:
Mobility aids are widely categorized into three categories.
1. Sitting aids: It gives support while sitting down on a bed or a chair.
2. Standing aids: This will provide support while shifting from a standing position to a sitting one.
3. Transferring aids: This lets the elderly get mobile from one place to another - for example, getting transferred from the bed to the wheelchair.
Let’s now consider some equipment and identify their functions.
Adjustable Back Rest:
· It supports the back while sitting on the bed.
· Ideal for elderly who cannot sit without a support.
· The posture is comfortably supported with this bedroom aid.
· It can be adjusted in different positions conveniently.
Bed Rope Ladder:
· It helps the elderly sit up independently.
· The rope is easily fitted around the bed’s legs and the end is available to the user.
· The ladder construction is strong enough to handle the individual's weight.
Rise Easy Bed Aid:
· The Rise Easy Bed Aid is another type of sitting aid which allows someone to stretch and bend easily while properly supported.
· It can be fitted on either side of the bed.
· They allow the person to raise their legs with minimal effort.
· Ideal for people who cannot move their legs by themselves.
· The legs will rise to a level automatically. Seniors can then easily rotate their legs to a sitting position.
· In addition, leg lifters can be used in reverse when the person wants to lay on their bed.